Just The Beginning

10 August 2007

The 2007 Summer International Experience in Ghana has come to end for the Holy Cross College students and they have now returned to the states. As I watched them walk into the airport after saying our goodbyes I knew that my experience was just beginning. It will not be a 2 1/2 week immersion into the culture of Ghana, but rather a year of my life devoted to the mission of the Holy Cross Brothers in Ghana. I can no longer find shelter from a large group of my countrymen. I recognize that I am a foreigner here. Ghana is not my home, but as a lay member of the Congregation of Holy Cross I am a part of a community to be found here.

Each day that I pray, eat, converse, work, and relax with the Brothers I am pulled closer to the vision of the Venerable Fr. Basil Moreau, founder of the Congregation of Holy Cross. A vision of life where professed religious and lay persons form intimate relationships and strive together to fulfill their mission of educating hearts and minds as well as the greater mission of preparing this world for the kingdom of God.

Of course to keep this in mind all day every day is quite a difficult task. I am an individual who struggles to stay consistent with my prayers and to always keep God in my thoughts. However, this is one of the greatest aspects of being close to the Brothers. Their commitment to prayer and service inspires me to work harder each day and to consistently keep God at the center of my life.

This is just the beginning of this experience and I have much more time to reflect and prepare before I begin teaching at the Home of Hope in late September. I shall do my very best to update this blog twice a week to keep all who are interested informed as to what the experience of a Moreau Fellow, or HCSC member, is like. So until next time Nyame Inshirawu! God Bless you!
- JD

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jay,
Griff here. Back from Peru. An amazing trip. I want to be the first to comment on this blog as you continue to share your joys and hopes there. God bless you. We are with you! We at HCC are so PROUD that you are beginning this new era of lay collaboration fo us. May peace and joy be with you, Nyame adom.

Kira said...

Jay,
You have been a great example to all of us and I will anxiously await your posts from Ghana throughout the coming year. You have my prayers and best wishes. Take good care of all the Brothers for us! ;)

Kira