Am I prepared?

My name is Jay Dunne and I just recently graduated from Holy Cross this past May. I have traveled to Ghana twice in the past year and like many others I found it to be one of the most incredible experiences of my life. During my first trip, however, something happened inside of me that not all students can expect. I was united with my purpose for living. I realized during that trip that my purpose in life is to use my God-given talents and accrued knowledge to serve the marginalized peoples of our global society. It was this realization that propelled me into my senior year exceling in the classroom and working to bring social justice issues in the developing world to the attention of the Holy Cross campus through the Africa Faith and Justice Network and The Cross and Anchor Workshops and the development of the Holy Cross Service Corps.

I knew all along though that I needed to return to Ghana and in a little over a week I will be. This time I will be the inaugural Moreau Fellow for the Holy Cross Service Corps (HCSC). I will be spending one entire year working with the Holy Cross Brothers in Sekondi at the Home of Hope. I will be assisting the Brothers in teaching english and in whatever other duties they might need my assistance with.

After an extremely busy career at Holy Cross College I have graduated and come home to take some time off before I leave for Ghana. I did not realize that after so much work that taking a vacation would feel wrong, but it does. I am very much looking forward to returning to Ghana, but I cannot help but feel anxious. There will always be thoughts creeping into my head questioning whether or not I am prepared for such an evdeavor. I know though that there is a lot that can come out of my experience, least of all for me. It is my hope that a successful year of service in Ghana would open up a door to all Holy Cross students to devote themselves to a year of service with the Congregation of Holy Cross. It is this idea that I must remian focused on! For we shall truly be bringing about the kingdom of God by providing that kind of opportunity to our graduates.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jay, I am prepared. Tim H

Anonymous said...

Jay I am excited for you. I am proud of what you have accomplished and know my experience will be great. I can't wait....
Kristine

Anonymous said...

I think you are prepared Jay! After getting to know you at retreat and seeing you volunteer your time to the Holy Cross community, I believe you have what it takes to lead this service program into its first successful year. Looking forward to seeing you on July 22 as we leave for our great experiences!
--Kyle Kincaid

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jay! Samantha Larson

Anonymous said...

Awesome can't wait to see you there Jay -- Ted

Anonymous said...

May God bless you! I know that you will do a great job in Ghana!

Pax Christi,

Krystal

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jay!!!!Awesome help dude!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jay!!!!Awesome help dude!!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see you there Jay. This coming year will change your life, and hopefully mine. Don't forget to listen.
Brenda Cici

Anonymous said...

Jay, Thanks for your inspiring words. We are blessed to have you with us on this journey.

Dr. Devetski

Anonymous said...

Good luck Jay, you'll do great - C.J. Nachtegall

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jay! Andy Buehl

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jay! I cannot wait to go with you on this life changing experience.-Kofi Wes Solmos

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jay for the inspirational words- Kweku Steve

Anonymous said...

aw you go boy! hehe. you are awesome. i am so excited that you will be there with us.

Anonymous said...

Indeed, Jay leaves us with a cosmic message that, like a well sharpened blade, cuts through all pretense and imaturity--something that the world is in dire need of. Jay, you spoke beautifully when illustrating for us how you and your God-given purpose collided on this road we call Life, leaving the two of you inseperable and forever one. May the hand of God rest well upon your heart when you're in Africa, and continue to be with you, and us all, forever and ever.
Kwaesy Neumann

Anonymous said...

I think God has prepared you in amazing ways and I can't wait to see what good things will come from your experiences. Good luck and God Bless!

Ama Jill

Anonymous said...

Jay! I am so glad you are getting to go and spend a year in Ghana. I will continue to keep you in my prayers as you prepare to help Holy Cross grow.
Kristine (ye fremi Ekva)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jay! Can't wait for this wonderful experience and having you there will be great for all of us.

Anonymous said...

-pervious post from (Amara)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jay,

We miss you and hope that you will keep us updated on this blog.

Love,

Mom