Money and more...

First, Bro Paul just wrote me with a good tip: "Let me draw your attention to the fact that Ghana re-denominated its currency starting July 1, 2007. Now the value of the Ghanaian cedi is worth more than the US dollar. For example $1 is equivalent to 92 or 93 pesewas depending on the exchange rate. It means that with $1 you don't get GH¢1. My experience is that many students will spend between 100 and up. I am writing this so that they can prepare otherwise they may not be able to buy much if they bring little money."

Second, I want to make sure you know now of the fact that Holy Cross College, of course, pays the Brothers for all of your food, lodging, and fees in Ghana. The one thing the school will not pay for is your alcohol. It is not that alcohol is evil, just that we do not know how each of you handles alcohol. So here is the deal:
Now, in terms of alcohol, the arrangement is simple: yes, you can provide alcohol. We suggest that the basic guide would be:

-you will not have alcohol with meals, except on particular festive occasions
-on those occasions, the Brothers will provide alcohol, but only enough for one or two per person.
-You will give Brother Chris a buck for each beer you had. It will not be an awkward pay-at-the-moment thing. Rather, using the honor system, you will give him the $ later.

Lastly, just let me urge you to know yourself. If you can enjoy a beer, fine, but if you tend to want more and more, avoid it. We do not want to be the Ugly Americans who come in like Frat Boys or Party Girls and spend in a night of drinking what it takes many Ghanaians a month to earn.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, we want to represent holy cross and america as honorably as possible.

ama kirsten

Anonymous said...

I agree. We should be dignified and respectful at all times.

Ama Jill

Anonymous said...

brenda cici

Anonymous said...

aight
efua chantel

Anonymous said...

So is $200 a good amount to bring?-Ama Nichole

Anonymous said...

I understand.-Kofi Wes Solmos

Anonymous said...

works for me - Kwame Nachtegall

Anonymous said...

works for me too - Kofi Andy

Anonymous said...

works for me three - Kweku Steve

Anonymous said...

Agree with everything!
Ekua (Kristine)

Anonymous said...

Well said.
Kyle Yaw

Anonymous said...

Got it! Samantha Larson (Ama)

Anonymous said...

makes sense to me. -kweku tim

Anonymous said...

OK! -Amara Esi

Anonymous said...

Ama Krystal

Anonymous said...

Yaw Ted

Anonymous said...

good to know,
Kwaesy Neumann

Anonymous said...

Hello to all from Cape Coast Africa! It is very warm and very very humid here. The plane rides went smoothly, even though leg space was at a premium. The group has had minimal instruction and done very well holding their own. There have been no problems to speak of! Hi mom dad josh alica clare and all who can see this! I can not really describe the sights and places we have seen in this message: this place is plain amazing. I have to make this short, so I love you all, thank you much Clare for that book, I love it. Happy Birthday Cody and Kyle, have fun and remember mine is Aug 20!!! Clare, let everybody know that there is where I will be writing, under the comments section of the title "Money and More". I love you bebe and everyone else! I'll blog as soon as I can get back on, time for goat meat sandwiches for lunch, thank god I have all that candy! ----Kweku Tim Holy

Anonymous said...

do joe nedvideks run wild through the fields of ghana??

Anonymous said...

Yes Yes Yes-The locals call them Nevidaz-which means STAFF

Anonymous said...

Andy, Hope you are all having a wonderful time. I can't wait to hear all of the stories through your eyes. Mary, Caroline and I miss you very much and know you are experiencing something that that will affect you for the rest of your life. Can't wait to keep reading the blogs.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Does goat milk really make you poop?

I hope the mosquitos aren't bigger than chachi's head.

Rich bthorn

Anonymous said...

Dear Andy,

I hope you are thoroughly embarrassed by Mom's comment. :) Have a drink-- people will eventually forget about it.

Love,
Mary

Anonymous said...

ANDY AKA: stinky Inky

how are you ? i hope that you are having alot of fun!! i cant wait for you to come back, i miss you alot
love caroline AKA: the bestest!!!