"The Recap" - August 27th

If it wasn't for the driver that knocked on everyone's doors that morning I doubt that I would have got on the bus back to Tamale. I quickly arose and packed my things in one my small backpack, which was really beginning to smell from my unwashed clothes. I went out into the still pitch black night to see a cloud moving to unveil a large moon. Just as soon as it appeared it disappeared behind another cloud.

I joined the group of tourists waiting to get on the bus and spoke to my American friend. Before long we were going back down the dreadful road. We made frequent stops to pick up more passengers along they way. By the time we left Damongo the bus was completely full and the sun was rising. It was a spectacular sunrise.

I talked with my American friend the whole way back to Tamale, which really helped me to ignore the bumpy road. We had some more great conversation and I was sad to have to say goodbye when we alighted back at the Tamale station. We parted ways and I made my way back to my old bench and greeted the familiar faces who worked at the station. Alado was not there though. I knew from the prices that I paid at Mole that I owuld not be able to go to Bolgatanga the next day and decided that I would go to Wa straight from Tamale. I was somewhat upset that I would not be able to go to the Upper East region and the last major city in Ghana before reaching Burkina Faso. I told myself that I would be able to visit another time as I approached the ticket office to by my ticket to Wa.

Then a shudder of anxiety went through my whole body. I couldn't hear anything in the busy station. I could not find my wallet!!!! I was searching my bag when I realized I had left it on the bus when I went to buy something out the window on the way back form Mole. I had to get it back. I didn't leave all my money in there, but there were some important things that I needed. I turned to see that my bus was gone and was now pulling out of the station.

Quickly, I threw my bag down and asked my friends to watch it for me and ran out of the station. I jumped on the back of motor bike taxi and told the man to follow the bus. It was my first time on the back of a motor cycle. We weaved in and out of traffic as well as the many people that roamed the city streets that Monday morning. We were nearly hit twice by passing cars during our pursuit. Finally, the bus pulled into the filling station and I ran to the driver and demanded to get on the bus. By the grace of God I found my wallet lying on the edge of my seat with all of the money still inside. Besides being relieved, I was so proud of myself for what I had just done.

After buying my ticket to Wa I made my way back to the same hotel that I had stayed at before. Went to my room to drop off my things and then visited Tiah and his friends at the space to space kiosk where I called Br. Paul to let him know that I was ok and back in Tamale. After some conversation, I collapsed in bed and rested until the afternoon.

RAIN. I woke up to the sounds of the rain pounding against the flat roof of the hotel as if Niagara falls was above us. Because of the weather I was confined ot the hotel for the rest of the day.

I thought a lot that day about my journey so far. Things had gone very smoothly and I had met some great people. Armed robbery is a major issue for people traveling alone here in Ghana, but it had barely entered my mind all the time that I was traveling. I truly felt the prayers from all of my friends and family. I used the rest of the day to journal and rest since I had to be back at the station at 4am the next morning to continue my journey to Wa in the Upper West Region.

No comments: